The global trucking industry continues to grow year over year, led by the world’s top ten largest trucking companies. With the arrival of shipments to factories and warehouses, the global trucking industry is becoming more integrated with the logistics chain. Furthermore, the demand for trucking services is not going away anytime soon, as entire economies rely on them for the transportation of all types of goods. How large is the global trucking industry? The global trucking industry market is expected to reach USD 700 billion by 2024, expanding at a 5.20 percent CAGR.
UPS, the world’s largest trucking company by revenue, leads the pack of top trucking companies. After UPS, the largest trucking companies by revenue are the US-based trucking companies FedEx and XPO Logistics, which round out the top ten trucking companies by revenue. This post will go over the best trucking companies in detail and answer the following industry-related questions:
- What are the world’s top trucking companies in terms of revenue?
- Which of the following is the largest trucking company in the United States?
- You should be aware of the following statistics and trends in the global trucking industry.
- What is the size of the global trucking industry?
BizVibe is already assisting the world’s top ten trucking companies in connecting. Connect with these companies and keep up with the latest news and insights.
See also: 2021 LEXUS LX
Global Trucking Industry Statistics and Trends
- According to data, trucking transports 71% of all freight in America and accounts for nearly 6% of all full-time jobs in the country.
- The revenue generated by the American trucking industry exceeded the GDP of more than 150 countries.
- Trucking accounts for 8% of all full-time jobs in the United States.
- Over 8,600 truckers are employed by Walmart.
- Trucks moved 10.8 billion tons of freight last year.
- If long-haul truckers stopped driving, most grocery stores would run out of food in three days.
- The average professional long-haul trucker travels over 100,000 miles per year.
Top 5 Largest Trucking Companies in the World 2022
Who are the world’s top ten trucking companies in terms of revenue in 2020? The following is a list of the top trucking companies, ranked by revenue in billions of dollars.
|3||XPO Logistics||16.65||100,000||Connecticut, USA|
|4||J. B. Hunt||9.16||29,056||Arkansas, USA|
|6||YRC Worldwide||5.09||19,000||Kansas, USA|
|8||Landstar System||4.61||1,306||Florida, USA|
|9||Old Dominion Freight Line||4.04||21,279||Thomasville, USA|
|10||TFI International||3.95||17,500||Montreal, Canada|
1. United Parcel Service (UPS)
What is the largest trucking company in the US and the world? UPS is the world’s largest trucking company, with revenues exceeding USD 71.86 billion last year. UPS is a multinational package delivery and supply chain management company based in the United States that was founded in 1907 as The American Messenger Company. UPS’s ground package tractor-trailers are commonly referred to as “feeders”; these vehicles are distinct from the UPS Freight fleet. UPS operates a fleet of trucks from several manufacturers in North America, including Mack Trucks (Pinnacle and Vision) and Navistar (International ProStar+ and 9900i), as well as PACCAR vehicles (Kenworth T800, T660, and T680). UPS is ranked first on this list of the top ten largest trucking companies in the world because it expects to have the highest revenue among the top trucking companies in 2020.
- Established in 1907
- Sandy Springs, Georgia, USA is the headquarters of UPS.
- UPS’s revenue is $86 billion.
- UPS Employees totaled 481,000.
- UPS Tractors totaled 19,732 units.
- 106,481 UPS Trailers
UPS Products and Services
- Courier express services
- Freight forwarding services
- Logistics services
FedEx is ranked second on our list of the top ten trucking companies in the world in terms of revenue in 2020. FedEx is a multinational delivery services company based in Memphis, Tennessee. FedEx is well-known for its overnight shipping service and for pioneering a system that could track packages and provide real-time updates on package location, a feature that most other carrier services have now implemented. FedEx generated USD 65.46 billion in revenue last year, making it the world’s second-largest trucking company by revenue. The company currently employs 425,000 people and operates more than 29,000 tractors and 113,000 trailers. FedEx is also known as one of the world’s largest third-party logistics companies.
- Founded: 1971
- FedEx Headquarters: Memphis, Tennessee, USA
- FedEx Revenue: USD 45 billion
- FedEx Number of Employees: 425,000
- FedEx Tractors: 29,813
- FedEx Trailers: 113,218
FedEx Products and Services
- Post delivery
- Express mail
- Freight forwarding
- Third-party logistics
3. XPO Logistics
XPO Logistics, an American multinational transportation and contract logistics company that manages supply chains for 50,000 customers, is ranked third on BizVibe’s list of the top ten largest trucking companies in the world. XPO Logistics employs over 100,000 people and has over 14,438 tractors and 25,689 trailers. XPO Logistics, Inc., one of the most successful trucking companies, is the Fortune 500’s seventh best-performing stock over the last decade. XPO Logistics generated USD 16.65 million in revenue last year, placing the company third on this list of major trucking companies in terms of revenue.
- Founded: 1989
- XPO Logistics Headquarters: Greenwich, Connecticut, USA
- XPO Logistics Revenue: USD 165 billion
- XPO Logistics Number of Employees: 100,000
- XPO Logistics Tractors: 14,438
- XPO Logistics Trailers: 25,689
XPO Logistics Products and Services
- Freight brokerage
- Intermodal and drayage
- Global forwarding
4. J. B. Hunt
B. Hunt is ranked fourth on this list of the world’s top ten trucking companies, with revenues exceeding USD 9.16 billion last year. J. B. Hunt is a Lowell, Arkansas-based transportation and logistics company. J.B. Hunt currently employs over 29,056 people and operates over 15,808 tractors and 33,510 trailers. J.B. Hunt primarily operates large semi-trailer trucks and offers transportation services across the continental United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- Founded: 1961
- B. Hunt Headquarters: Lowell, Arkansas, USA
- B. Hunt Revenue: USD 9.16 billion
- B. Hunt Number of Employees: 29,056
- B. Hunt Tractors: 15,808
- B. Hunt Trailers: 33,510
Knight-Swift, a publicly traded American truckload motor shipping carrier based in Phoenix, Arizona, ranks fourth on this list of the top ten largest trucking companies in the world. In the United States, the company is involved in the transportation of general commodities. It primarily provides asset-based dry van truckload and temperature-controlled truckload carrier services over short to medium distances. The firm also provides non-asset-based brokerage services. Over 25,400 people are employed by Knight-Swift, which operates 19,156 tractors and 69,544 trailers. Knight-Swift generated USD 5.34 billion in revenue in 2019, making it one of the top ten trucking companies in the world by revenue and one of the largest trucking companies in the US.
- Founded: 1990
- Knight-Swift Headquarters: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
- Knight-Swift Revenue: USD 34 billion
- Knight-Swift Number of Employees: 25,400
- Knight-Swift Tractors: 19,156
- Knight-Swift Trailers: 69,544
Knight-Swift Products and Services
- Truckload shipping: freight, packaging, shipping containers, crates, corrugated fiberboard boxes, etc.